I need a replacement car, the 323F just doesn’t cut it anymore. Here are my current options:
Mini One/Cooper 1.6, yes you read correctly.
Pros: Wheel in every corner, 4 seats, has some style, quite nippy
Cons: more a German tribute act than genuine article, mumsy
Hyundai Coupe 2.0
Pros: looks nice, similar driving position to my 323F and Puma, RWD
Cons: Wee bit nedish, RWD in snow, not that economical, long
Smart ForFour CDI 96hp
Pros: Economical, Wheels tight to back bumper, nicely designed interior (not bland), not afraid of colour.
Cons: Kinda ugly light cluster, rare as hens teeth
Others? please comment. Must have: personality, cost no more than £3500.
Bryan asks why the 323F isn’t cutting it no more:
- Central locking doesn’t work in that good time and I have one key only
- Gear box is a bit temperamental/clutch
- Can’t get out of my street in winter (lighter cars can)
- Scratched to hell windscreen is hard to see out of during low angle sunlight
- Not that easy to park
Must haves for the new car:
- Some character inside and out
- As good performance or better than the 1.5l 323F
- 4 wheels
- No bigger than the 323F
- Some luxury/mod cons
- Nice to drive
- Not a high seating position (no 4x4s)
- Similar fuel economy than 323F (in theory)
- No more than £3500
Other cars I have looked at:
- Yaris, didn’t like the dials/position
- SportKa, I’ve had two Fords from that line and I’d like something new, but it is a backup
Thanks to information from long time owner Amanda, I now know the Mini has no spare wheel at all. So you have to buy run flat tyres.
This fires it down the list.